One thing I’ve noticed is that if I take a five minute break every hour or so, I tend to feel more refreshed and also get more work done. The trick of course is to not let the 5 minutes extend into a half hour or more, so here are a few ideas that are quick and helpful…
- Jump. Get a rebounder (mini trampoline) and put it in your office. Every hour or so go jump on it. Your head will clear, your muscles will get worked and you’ll feel energized.
- Play. Whether it’s a remote control helicopter you fly around your office or an old Rubik’s Cube, find something you can do for 5 minutes and then put it down. Not recommended: Video games. We all know that 5 minutes on a video game can easily turn into 2 hours, so save those for when your work is done.
- Yoga or any stretching type of exercise to feel invigorated and less stressed.
- Mind games. Here’s a site I like… http://GamesForTheBrain.com Check out the game, “Guess the colors.”
- Online jigsaw puzzles. Sign up at http://Jigzone.com and they’ll send you a new puzzle everyday.
- Walking. Take two or three laps around your house or up and down a staircase.
- Cleaning or straightening. Find something small that needs attention and takes no more than 5 minutes. You’ll feel productive and glad to get back to work.